Tuesday, April 5, 2011




Today was a rough day. Ryder saw his wonderful Orthopedic Surgeon today, Dr Segal. I thought the appointment would go the same as usual....we go in get x-rays and get told all looks ok...and then we go on our way....but that is not what happened.
Ryder had X rays done (as usual every 6 months) the DR came into the room and asked me to step out with him so I could see the Xrays....I could tell he was bummed out. We got to his computer screen and I could clearly see something was wrong with Ryders hips....It was kinda confusing in words but basically due to Ryders high tone in his lower part of body his hip sockets are trying pop out the back of socket.
Lately Ryder has complained that his hips hurt, and his legs "scissor" (cross over each other)...and also his left leg only opens at 20%. (very bad)
Ryder has to have double hip surgery...and soon! Dr Segal said he doesn't like having to do this surgery on kids Ryders age...but sadly it has to happen this way. The surgery is going to be intense...(he said kids with spinal surgeries recover quicker then with this surgery). Ryder will regress with anything physically he does now...this surgery once again is very hard on the patient/child.
From what I understand is they go into the hip....cut into the bone....put in a metal plate...and also cut some tendons in the hip area. After I find out the exact name of surgery and more info I'll post a link with info.
Recovery in hospital is about a week...and 6 weeks at home... 6 months later they go back into the hips and take out the plates.

We are very sad about this...it is something we knew would eventually happen...but not so soon
: (

We will keep you all posted on whats going on.

5 comments:

The Lindsey's said...

I'm so sorry this is happening already Kira. He's a tough cookie though, so I'm sure he'll bounce back with time. Are they going to do anything with his leg not opening? Is it because of the hip? Jordan's wouldn't open all the way (she was at a 70%!!) because her knee wouldn't straighten. She had surgery in January and is now at a 35%! Keep us all posted. We'll be praying for you all!

The Gundies said...

My hips hurts just thinking about it! Ryder man, you are a tough bucket of bolts and I believe in you! This is a huge hurdle, but we think about you, talk about you, and pray about you more than you'll ever know. Kick it in the pants my man. Anna and Audrey say HI!!

Marilee said...

Poor little Ryder! We'll keep you all in our prayers!

Adam and Emily said...

I'm sorry to hear that Kira. But if anyone can handle it it is you. You are such a strong person and Ryder is so lucky to have you as a mommy. He'll be in my prayers that everything goes well.

The Lunds said...

Poor little guy! I'm sorry to hear that he has to go through all of this. Keep us posted and know that you're all in our prayers. Love you Ryder!!