Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sorry it's been awhile! We've been busy with Ryder. He was sick for like forever! But knock on wood he is well today. :)

We went to Idaho for Thanksgiving. And oh how we are thankful for that much needed trip! We love Idaho. Ryder got to play with his 3 cousins on the Page side. It was so much fun to see him interact w/ them.

Ryder did so well traveling! On the way home we practiced words w/ Ry and he said "gothoo" (got you!) he said "uhbuh" (bus) and boo for blue and gren for green. It was so cute! We were proud!
My favorite thing he said was to his auntie Sarah...she was playing w/ him and asked Ryder "isn't aunt sara a dork?" Ryder smiled and said "mmm yeah." It was hilarious. This kids a funny kid.

Ryder has started cranial sacral therapy (Sp?) He's responding great to that. He's still booked daily with therapies and Dr appts so we are always on the go! Today Ryder had a chiropractor adjustment. It was alot of poppin'! Dr Crismon was kind to adjust Ryder when Ryder went in w/ daddy get cracked. Ryder liked it! But don't we all!

Sad story here. We know Ryder's delayed and different from other kids his age, due to the Cerebral palsy, and we knew that someday soon people would begin to realize this more in him physically. We thought we were prepared for reactions, but on our way home from Idaho I had a pretty bad experience....
We stopped at Wendy's for some dinner in Kanab and this little 5 year old girl walked up to me and looked at Ryder and said "your baby is lazy." I was so shocked I didnt respond. I actually kind of got teary eyed. When Greg came back I told him what she said. He asked if I told the little girl why Ryder looks so weak and floppy. I told him how shocked and thrown off I was. Also I didn't want to embarass the girls mother, so I didn't say anything. But man, that was a rough moment. I realize I need to be prepared for these things from now on...And that kids can be mean!

On a happier note :) A few weeks ago I was watching tv and flipping thru channels and came onto this thing on ABC nightly news. They spotlighted this guy named DJ Gregory. This guy's story brought Greg and I to complete tears. It's a beautiful story google him... I think I googled abc DJ Gregory, and found the clip....

Anyways this guy is 30 years old. He was born 10 weeks early and had blood on the brain just like Ryder. The Doctors told his parents the same as our Drs told us, that he may never walk. Well Dj was determined to walk and did. Then he wanted to learn to golf, so he did. He taught himself a one handed swing. This past year he went to the PGA tour. Nobody EVER walks hole to hole. But he did. He walked and walked and walked. Fell and fell and fell. Then picked himself up determined to accomplish his goal. And in the end he did it. He believes if you believe in yourself, you can do it. His parents taught him that early on in life with his Cerebral palsy. I can't even say what an AMAZING and inspirational story this is. I encourage you all to google it and watch the clips. This story has given us hope with Ryder and we are going to teach him what DJ Gregorys parents taught him....you can do anything if you put your mind to it, and we'll be behind you every step of the way! we'll be there to pick you up when you fall. It's funny and sad but Dj actually tallied his falls....he made light of it.
I keep saying it but google dj gregory-abc news/ and get ready for an AMAZING story!

5 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

Just a thought as mom to a mouthy 5 year old... They really (mostly) aren't mean, they just say what they see, they don't understand that you would take it rude. Allie say a lady dancing on TV and said that lady is Fat, I was like why do you say that, and she said because she is bigger then the other girls, So we talked about how it would hurt her feeling to be called fat and how it is ok to be bigger, and she really didn't understand that Fat was a bad thing. She felt bad and wouldn't have wanted to hurt anyones feelings...So just my 2 cents, the kid probably didn't understand why Ryder wasn't up running around like other kids but didn't know how to explain it... (don't get me wrong I understand that it was hurtful, but I guess as a perspective for the future, assume innocent first, cause I know that is something I could totally see Allie saying.) Glad you had a fun trip otherwise! It is so nice to see family I can't wait to live closer!

Staci said...

You do have to be prepared with what you are going to say to people when they make comments or act oddly. My oldest has Aspergers Syndrom, and we he acts out or a better term would be "freaks out", I've had to learn how to explain him to people without making excuses or labeling him.
The best advice I ever heard was not say there is something wrong, just explain what things are different and that they are okay. Little kids don't understand feelings. She was making a statement and probably a question at the same time. Kids want to know why things are different. A really easy answer for you is that "he was born really early and he is working on catching up." If you keep your answers light and friendly it is information for people to answer their curiousity without labeling or jeprodizing Ryder. Hang in there!
How old is Ryder.. you are teaching him words already..WOW.. My Sophia is 15 months.. and she still only says about 3 things and not consistantly.
GO RYDER!

The Gundies said...

I am so glad that your son announced to the world what a dork I am. Now I can quit explaining it to people when they ask me in person. Ryder, mean Aunt Sara loves ya!

Shiloh McKinnon said...

OK I am about to cry and I havnt googled yet! I know how you feel. It has been hard now that Kadence has started school and soccer to see how limited she is compared to other kids. I didnt see it as much until then

Carrie and Nathan said...

I hope you don't mind my commenting on here, I googled the DJ Gregory video and it is inspiring. Thank you for sharing! I too, cried! I appreciate you keeping us updated on Ryder. I'm glad you got to see the fam. for Thanksgiving. With all that's going on with Grandpa right now, I'm sure it's good to think of happier times. You have such an amazing little family.