Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's been a few days, sorry! Ryder is doing well. He weighs 5 LBS 3 OZ as of sunday! yay! and is 18 inches long! He's growing fast!!

We were told that he would probably come home this week, but sadly he's not ready!

It turns out Ryder has a REALLY sensitive tummy! that's picky with whatever goes in it : ( so they switched his formula...plus they added prune juice! : ( They had to do that because my kiddo didn't poop for 3 days! and because of that issue, he was fussy and crying from all the gas and the pain. It was so sad to watch! So we hope that his tummy problems will get better, and get used to the new formula!!!!!

The other issue holding him back is, he takes to long to eat! he's only allowed 30 minutes to drink 60 cc's. Because it takes so many calories to eat, they don't want him to use to much energy taking longer. If he uses to much energy, he'll have MAJOR set backs....and possibly get sent back to the NICU upstairs, and put on oxygen again.....we don't want that!!!! So we let him drink for 20 minutes then tube feed the rest. The other problem with the 30 minute feeding time, is Ryder is an awful burper!!! he won't burp! if we are lucky to get it out of him, it takes 20 minutes! It's not that he doesn't need to burp, he does! and cries and squirms from the uncomfortable air bubble inside him, but he can't push it out. Poor guy!

So we'll see what happens. It's all a roller coaster! I must say this kid gets to me, I fought back tears when Claire said he couldn't come home Thursday.....but I know it's definitely better this way! We don't want him to stop breathing at home! So I know I can't get my hopes up to much, because I kinda can't handle anymore bummer news with him.....it makes me sad. I try to focus on all of the positive, but we just want our little boy home soooo bad!!!!! we hate leaving him everyday!

1 comments:

Shelbi Whittaker said...

Kira, hang in there!! It is such an awful feeling leaving them there! Cora was suppose to come home 2 days earlier then she did but she couldnt because she couldnt maintain her temps I was devastated!! I cant imaging leaving my baby there as long as you have!! I only had to leave Cora there for 4 weeks!! you are a good mommy!! Im so excited that he is already above 5lbs!! that is GREAT!!! I can see a little bit o both of you in him and he is starting to loose that preemie look. Hang in there we are continuing to pray for you!