Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ryder is doing still doing well, although he gave us a scare at home on monday....naughty boy! jk. Monday he had his first Dr visit which went great, but he got a shot...and blood tested for iron level. The blood test came back as expected saying his hemoglobin was low(due to all the blood taken in the NICU, that's why he had 2 blood tranfusions) They take so much for testing he can't produce more fast enough....which is normal for these lil' preemies....anyways, he's pretty anemic, which means we had to double up on his Iron ( poor kid, it makes him gassy! and hurts his belly)

The Scare was later at night, he slept for like 5 hours straight (thanks to his vaccine he got that day mixed with him being anemic), and I had to wake him to eat. After the first couple of sucks he was so weak he had no energy to remember to breathe...so he turned blue real quick....The NICU mom in me knew exactly what to do....stay calm, and quickly stimulate him and try to make him cry....so I did...it was about 20 to 30 seconds of no breathing!! I got him to cry....and went and got Greg and my mom and dad (we are staying with them right now, which is such a blessing!) They gave him a blessing...and I decided to take him to the ER....so we packed him up...and when we got to the ER parking lot, I decided maybe I shouldn't expose him to all the sick people....after all I knew what to do for him if it happened again...I then fed him a bottle in the ER parking lot, figuring if he stopped breathing again, and if I couldn't get him to breathe again, I'd run in with him and get him medical help.



Well what do ya know?! the kid woke up crying for food....he was weak but hungry. So I carefully fed him, and he drank what he needed without turning blue. Then we took him home, and he slept on my chest in a chair, so I knew he was breathing and ok. I took him to the DR Tuesday and Dr Leavitt (who is amazing!) Decided he wanted Ryder on a Apnea monitor...just to see what his breathing, and heart rate are doing...Ryder now has a monitor on and doesn't mind it, and neither do I. I can leave him in his crib, swing, or carseat and not worry about apnea problems.


I'm not going to lie, it scared me a bit...mostly because in the NICU I watched him turn blue, white, gray....so many times! I'd have to walk away watching Dr's, nurses, res. therapists hovering over him trying to get him breathing again. Many of those times I thought he was gone, or not going to make it. Several times when he stopped breathing stimulation didn't work, and his stats quickly dropped lower and lower...so they had to throw oxygen on and pump the bag (basically CPR) So when this incident happened Monday I had flash backs and it was tough.

To all the mom's you'll enjoy this....he has mixed up his nights and days...he's awake ALL night, and sleeps ALL day!!!! My mom says all babies do that during major growth spurt times....and he's def doing that now! ugh.

Thats one major blessing, staying with my mom and dad and Rob....anytime I need a break, I don't even need to ask....they come and take him from me and tell me to sleep. My parents work in an office attached to their house, and just work with him in their arms, or leave him in a swing. ( they are living it up!) In the mornings if I have to take Greg to work at 4 am, 5 am...etc. Rob holds him and loves him. What a blessing! It's been nice. I am grateful.

6 comments:

3in3mom said...

Wow, sniff sniff, I am so glad you are in tune with your little man and the needs he has. What a blessing for him to have you! What wonderful parents you have to care for you and your little family so much. Love and prayers!

Shiloh McKinnon said...

FREAKY! That made me flash back to when Kadence scared the crap out of us and did that when she came home. All of a sudden you feel so far away from help. Kadence came home on the apnea monitor ( I think more for us than her) but is was such a blessing. I was able to sleep at night and not worry. She almost wore that thing until her 1st b-day. At first she was on it always but I quickly got comfortable with only putting her on it at night. Call me sometime and I will give you a few tips on it. Glad he is home and welcome to the sleepless nights! =)

The Tuck Family said...

What an AMAZING Momma you are Kira! I can't even imagine watching one of my babies turn blue and be able to keep my head on straight and fix it! WOW. You guys are so tough...we love you and hopefully will get to come and see the little stud (and I guess you guys too!), in April when my bro. gets home from Iraq.

Kenz

Coree Adams said...

Oh my heavens, how scary. We've had similar experiences, definitely not the kinds of things you want to have to see (or remember for that matter) with your children. I'm glad he is doing better. By the way, I see Dr. Carroll who is in Dr. Leavitt's office. LOVE that place. They are all great doctors.

Brady and Rachel said...

So scary! I can't even imagine. I thought our scary experience with Camden a few nights ago was scary enough. You are amazing Kira for staying calm. I've heard of apnea and how scary it can be, but I've never had to experience it yet with one of my kids. So glad your family is there to help. Hey, we were in your neck of the woods last night (we went to the Easter Pageant. The boys loved it too. Brady has a friend from Hawaii who is in it, so it was fun to see him. It was also nice to see a little bit of Mesa for once. Hope Ryder stays healthy for you guys and that you and Greg and your fam can also stay healthy.

Anonymous said...

Cute Ryder!! Love the long hendrix or piano fingers--just like Evie's fingers. OK Ryder, give mommy and daddy a little slack, they need the rest to keep up w/you. Hugs