Thursday, September 18, 2008

Today Ryder had a neurologist appointment. The Appointment was a "downer" appointment for us, but we are still keeping our hopes high for him. As of 2 weeks ago we barely found out that the cerebral palsy was official...and that it was only mild. Mild meaning that it would be so minor with therapy that you wouoldnt notice he had it unless I told you what to look for. But today that diagnosis changed. As soon as his Dr met with us, she asked many random questions....that lead to her being pretty definite on him having moderate CP. Moderate means it will be noticable to others around him. I found out so much information on his risks of things, and what he has. Forgive me because I can't remember it all!!

First she def noticed his stiffness on his right side. She then asked to look at his brain scans to see where in the brain the damage was done, and how bad it was. Well that kind of determined alot of his diagnosis she was about to give him. The part in his brain that is severely damaged from the blood on the brain at birth ( due to prematurity) affects his right side....which causes the stiffness (aka CP). I'll try to explain...Your spine naturally is stiff, it stiffens all your muscles and body....but your brain is supposed to calm the spine down...kind of like the brain says ' ok spine chill out, relax!" but Ryder's brain is damaged in that spot...so his brain and spine/ right side muscles arn't comunicating as they should. She was going to give him medicine for stiffness, but couldnt cuz it makes the trunk area ( upper body) floppy, or weak, but then she realized he was already extremely floppy and weak. The medicine would cause him to be non-functionable at all in upper body...so we cant give him that yet! but as he's older they may give him botox shots that loosen his muscles. But she did say from here on out his stiffness will get worse each day....even w therapy, but therapy will help a little still :)
Now another thing mentioned or explained to me was more about his right side and CP...she used some medical word that I dont remember...I just remember her explanation. That, in a way his right side is paralized (sp?) but its kind of spastic. So he has spastic CP, mixed with another weird form of CP. With therapy though this can improve.
The Scars on his brain from the resolved water on the brain are so bad! So it's just a matter of time before he starts having seizures. But that doesnt worry me...cause it wont cause anymore brain damage then what he has...as long as they stay under 2 minutes.
As of right now this risk I'm about to tell you doesn't look like he has, but its a risk...mental retardation... He doesnt show signs though! thank goodness! but time will tell.
He will be ADHD...hyper! due to prematurity...and missing the whole last trimester!
Theres more, but I cant remember!
But what does this all mean???? she said he can simply use crutches and a brace, he can even be in a wheelchair... the best in leg braces, but walk with stiffness. He'll be slow in speech....the brain connecting to actually getting out the word will be difficult for him. He will possibly be slower to learn, or even mentally handicapped, or maybe nothing to noticable...but once again only time can tell.
It's def hard on Greg and I, esp today! But we are holding up, cause we know that with us and his therapists and Drs...aka "Ryder's team", we are his only hope. We will work with him and his brain, and body and try to create good habits. This therapy will be a lifetime of therapy...because as soon as he stops theray he regresses. But thats okay...we can handle this. The Dr told us he will have big set backs but to keep positive....that we can do it! and we will.

I remember the day in the NICU we found out about the risks and CP, I cried and cried, thinking of these children in wheelchairs, or with walkers....and thought no not RYDER! so we prayed and prayed he wouldnt have it...others prayed, fasted....but still he has it. Which confirms to me that Heavenly Father has a plan for this lil' angel....and part of that plan is him being special needs. But already this precious boy has touched several lives, given faith to many, but know that we know its part of his plan God has for him. I'm sure he knew his struggles he would face, before coming to earth. But he's been blessed with an amazing spirit and personality to get thru it. We love Ryder and will always be by his side to carry him thru these hard trials! haha probaly literally at times...but thanks for everything! and Thanks to all the prayers.

(sorry for typos! there was so much to type! and I'm to tired to check it all!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you guys so much! Ryder's spirit is so strong. When I met him in Dayton I was taken aback by how powerful he is. I know you and Greg were chosen to be his parents. Our love and prayers are w/ you.

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

Hey Momma,
I am sorry that the news was so bad, but I will say, Docs aren't always right and No on can stop Heavenly Father! You know that! Hang in there, you boy is adorable, and I am certain no matter what he has and will continue to bring Joy into you lives! Hug him for us!

Lynette said...

Wow...I'm sure that was a very difficult dr.'s visit. If you are upset at all, you can't tell...Perhaps that why Ryder came to you and Greg -- because you are strong.

Ryder sure is a cutie!

Carrie and Nathan said...

Once again...what examples! Thank you for sharing that with us. We think of you often and look forward to your updates. We will continue to pray for you both and sweet, little Ryder.

Staci said...

Doctors always give the worst case senario... Faith, hope, prayer, can help you through so much. Hang in there! It is always heartbreaking to hear things about your kids from the doctors, you just become as educated about the subject as you can and become his biggest advocate. Knowledge is power and he was sent to you for a reason! Learn as much as you can, love him as much as you can, and don't forget to take time for just you and Greg! We will keep you in our prayers.
Sterling and Staci

3in3mom said...

Wow, hard news. I hope you know you're great parents and that time and energy will be a blessing to him and you. He is a sweet angel and will guide many people in life.

Marilee said...

Shucks, I'm sad to hear the CP news. You are awesome parents and thanks for sharing your testimony of faith and that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I marvel at your strength!

Shiloh McKinnon said...

First off I have to say that those pics of him are so ADORABLE! He is looking so BIG! Kira I am so sorry to hear of this last appointment. I hate appointents that leave you feeling crappy. I have a few questions for you about it all and would love to chat. I will be home til 12 tomorrow (Tues) and then back home after 3:30 and I will be home all day on Wednesday. I dont have your # or I would call you myself